Well, I got the border on two sides, and realized that it did NOT work at all. The green in the border was too much for the rest the quilt.
So, that required a trip to the fabric store. And not just any fabric store, I had to go to M&L Fabrics in Anaheim - where they have great fabric for $2.98 a yard! Unless, of course, you're looking for something specific, and then you pay $7.98 a yard. Guess how much I paid. *sigh* Anaheim is not really close to me (about 35 minutes away), but it can be worth it to go that store if you can find fabric for $2.98 a yard. And I did find some stuff that eQuilter had on sale for more than $2.98.
So, I got home ripped out the borders that I had already put on, and sewed on the new fabric that I got. It's an Aunt Sukey's Choice fabric. I think that it really livens up the quilt.I also pieced the backing - using fabric similar to what I had originally put on the borders. I screwed up the size of the borders - the top and bottom border are just a tad too big. I think it's a 1/2 inch (if I now realize correctly what I did wrong in my calculations). *heavy sigh*
I really liked this quilt when I first started. Now, not so much. However, I do have it pinned and ready to quilt. I'm going to try out Kim's quilting pattern. Not having done that pattern before, it might be just as well that I'm going to try it on a quilt that I don't love.
I really wanted to give this quilt to a girlfriend of mine, but I just don't think that I can. We'll see how it comes out in the end.